Funding for sustainable travel
Devon County Council is keen to support companies that wish to encourage their staff to travel to work sustainably and support sustainable travel tourism. If you are based in or near Exeter, Exmouth, Newton Abbot or Barnstaple or in the Dartmoor National Park area we can offer funding for new facilities and initiatives as part of our work on the Local Sustainable Transport Fund project.
Applications are processed at the end of each month, at which point you will be contacted with further instructions.
Below are some ideas for which you could apply for funding. For more information and guidance on how to implement these measures please see our toolkit.
- Car parking alterations to create dedicated car share spaces;
Ideas for initiatives you could apply for funding
- Set up a pool bike scheme, for business travel;
- Set up a reward scheme or loyalty card system for regular 'green travellers' (for example, collect stamps to earn credit for the staff canteen);
- Purchase taster tickets for bus or train routes and offer them to staff to trial bus travel;
- Hire a cycling instructor to run a ‘bike bus’ from popular areas to highlight the best routes;
- Offer staff incentives to be ‘travel buddies’, to help colleagues make sustainable journeys;
- Purchase an annual bus or train ticket for communal staff use for business travel;
- Produce a regular sustainable travel information newsletter, with information on how to travel to your site using sustainable transport;
- Support to run year round events, such as Dr Bike clinics, journey planning advice, sustainable travel breakfasts etc;
- Support to organise and implement improvements to facilities and initiatives;
- Set up a car share scheme for your employment site – private groups can be set up on Carshare Devon to enable staff to find car share buddies within your organisation;
- Corporate membership to travel organisations (e.g. ACT TravelWise, CTC);
- Purchase of secure bike locks, pumps and tools for basic bike maintenance at tourism establishments;
We can also offer a range of services free to employers including
- cycle confidence sessions for staff tailored to the individual whether they are new to cycling or would like advancing training;
- roadshows at employment sites – our trained travel advisors can promote travel options to your site and speak to your staff, offering a range of free support – click here for more details;